Properly Sized Window Rough Opening |

A Bit of Deconstruction in the Construction

It’s been awhile since I’ve updated here, but not because we haven’t been doing any work. Quite the contrary.

After finishing up the framing, which was impressive and fast and had a defined end point, we’ve entered the long game of tiny house building – doing all the other little steps that take it from the impressive frame that was raised in a matter of weeks to a house.

And as a part of that long game, with each step in the process a new opportunity for learning, we’ve run into a fair share of snags, which we expected we would.

The most notable happened when we went to order the windows. When we began the design, we ran quick quotes on windows to be sure that our intended window sizes existed in the real world – even though we expected many of the windows to be custom. They were and we moved forward.

We framed the walls, raised them, and prepared to order our windows by checking the rough opening measurements. In the framing of one of the walls – the bathroom wall – we made a mistake. It seemed tiny and insubstantial at the time, so rather than fixing it, we moved forward. The rough opening was smaller than it was supposed to be, but we assumed that we would still be able to order a window, albeit a smaller one than we had originally intended.

Improperly Sized Window |

Turns out, we couldn’t.

The small error in our framing made it so that not a single operable window Рone that opens and closes Рwould fit in the opening we made.


And we really wanted an operable window.

So, with a little encouragement from the guy we’re ordering our windows from, we fixed the problem with a sawzall and a crowbar.

Fixing the Window with Sawzall |

Deconstruction with the Crow Bar |

And now the opening is ready for what will be a lovely awning window!

Deconstruction Complete |

And we’ve learned more important lessons about building.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *